Major Specific Requirements:
UPDATE Effective Fall 2016:
- Sociology core courses will be restricted to Major and Minor students only.
- A pre-req of Sociological Theory (SOCY 3153,3154, or 4153) will be required before students can enroll in Research Methods (SOCY 4155 & L).
Students can, if desired, complete a concentration in one of three substantive areas as part of the B.A. degree. The three areas are: Sociological Social Psychology; Social Problems and Policy; and Organizations, Occupations, and Work.
Each concentration will require a total of four (4) courses, in which one is a required course for the specific concentration and the other three courses are selected from an approved list of electives for the specific concentration. A grade of C or above must be earned in the required course and a GPA of 2.5 must be earned in the concentration. These courses will not add to the total number of hours required for the major, but will count toward the elective hours already required for the major.
The Sociological Social Psychology Concentration will require SOCY 2161 as a prerequisite or corequisite with three (3) electives from the following: SOCY 2112; SOCY 3261; SOCY 3267; SOCY 4150; SOCY 4263(W, 0); SOCY 4265 (W); and other courses with advisor approval.
The Social Problems and Policy Concentration will require SOCY 2171 as a prerequisite or corequisite with three (3) electives from the following: SOCY 2100; SOCY 3143; SOCY 3173; SOCY 3250/3251(0); SOCY 4111; SOCY 4125; SOCY 4130; SOCY 4168; SOCY 4172/4173(W); SOCY 4480; and other courses with advisor approval.
Resource Videos & Manual:
- Major Checklist
- Major Checklist Walk-through
- Advising and Referrals
- CAPP Degree Evaluation Manual
- CAPP Degree Evaluation "What-If Analysis" Walk-through
- Starfish Student Quick Guide